Friday, July 20, 2012

Rankin Back To School August 7

Rankin County School District 
Prepares For New School Year

Brandon, Mississippi – It’s back to school time and the Rankin County School District is preparing for the start of the 2012-2013 school year. All Rankin County School District students will report to class on Tuesday, August 7, for an entire day of school. This day will count toward their total number of days in the school year and any students not attending on this day will be considered absent. It is extremely important to have all students registered prior to the start of the school year. Parents of new students may stop by their local school to register their child any weekday between 8 a.m.- 3 p.m.

In order to be enrolled in August, students must meet the following criteria:
  • Be 5 years of age on or before September 1 of the current school year to enter Kindergarten
  • Be 6 years of age on or before September 1 of the current school year to enter firstgrade
  • Have a certified birth certificate/long form.
  • Complete the Rankin County School District Residency Form and provide required documents
  • Have a social security number
  • Have a completed immunization record from the Health Department or a doctor.

Immunization requirements for children entering school in Mississippi for the first time include: diphtheria, tetanus and pertussis (DTaP); polio (IPV); hepatitis B; measles, mumps and rubella (MMR); and varicella (chickenpox). All students entering 7th Grade this August will be required to show proof of a recent Tdap vaccination. Parents must provide the school with a Certificate of Immunization Compliance (Form 121) from their local health department or physician.

The Rankin County School District requires all K-12th grade students as well as all new students and transfer students to provide proof of residency.
  • All students in K-12 grade should receive a new residency form to be completed and returned with updated proofs of residency (within the first 30 days of school).
  • All K-12 students enrolling for the first time should complete new residency forms and return with proofs before student can be enrolled.
  • 12th grade students are allowed to remain at a school if they move during the school year (senior rule).

Read More


Anonymous said...

What a nice surprise this morning that you posted a new article. How I have missed your blog. Hope this means you are doing much better.

Anonymous said...

Please remember to "Help the School Secretary Help You" by updating your phone numbers when you change residence, cell phone plans or jobs. Also remember to send lunch money in weekly or pay online. There is no charging allowed for school lunches and no one wants a student to be without a lunch. Please read and follow school policies concerning check out and visitor information. The policies are in place for the safety of the students and trying to circumvent them can put our children in danger. Stick with an afternoon transportation plan. Constant changing of your schedule can confuse small children.